Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Kevin Durant's Starting 5

I know I know, I need to put up some MLB posts. When I see something happen, I'll be sure to post. Recently Kevin Durant posted his all time starting lineup for the NBA. I'm going to break down everyone he chose and tell you whether or not the player deserved to be in the spot Kevin gave them. And I'll of course tell you my starting 5.

For the point guard position, Kevin chose Magic Johnson. Magic was a superstar, and I'd put him into the legend column, but is he worthy of being the best point guard in history? I think so. when he was part of a championship team, they were stacked, so it's not like we know for sure that he could lead a bad team to success, but if he ever were to be put in that situation, I think he could pull through. Plus, he wasn't just the best point guard of his time, he was the best point guard of the best time basketball has ever seen. Think about it, he was facing off against John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Michael Jordan. And some of the greatest teams of all time. 90's Bulls, 90's Rockets, late 90's Spurs, late 80's Pistons, the list goes on and on.

For the shooting guard position, Kevin Durant chose Kobe Bryant. Now I hate Kobe Bryant, almost as much as I hate Christian Laettner (and believe me I HATE Christian Laettner), but I try to put that hatred aside and focus on his play on the court. Let's admit it. No one's as good as Michael Jordan. But Kobe is a very deserving player. He is statistically sound, and is a very good team player. Think about all he has accomplished with no one but Pau Gasol, who is an all star, but you need way more than him to be successful. But Kobe carried them. What Kevin tried to do was put Kobe at shooting guard and Michael Jordan in the small forward position. Still, I don't like this selection for a few reasons. First, were looking for the top players in each position, so making your top five have two shooting guards just seems unfair to players who deserve to be in the small forward position. I think you put Michael in shooting guard and take Kobe off the list. You're probably wondering who I want to be the small forward. We'll get to that.


For small forward, Kevin chose Michael Jordan. We all knew he would make it in. He's the greatest player of all time, no contest. Everything he did made him better than the rest. Now, Michael is definitely going to be in the top five, I agree with that. But I really think he should've been shooting guard. Some shooting guards you could put in small forward, but you can't with Jordan. Michael NEVER played SF, so why did you put him there? This is what I think. You can't put Kobe or Michael in the small forward spot, so I would put Michael in at shooting guard, drop Kobe, and insert Larry Bird. I mean, why isn't he in this? I think he is WAY more deserving than Kobe, or even Magic. Larry led one of the best teams in all time. As for Jordan, yes, he deserves it.

Kevin chose Tim Duncan for his power forward. Tim hasn't just won titles, he's kept the Spurs title contenders for his ENTIRE CAREER, and has one multiple MVP awards. But he has had help with Greg Popovic, who is easily the best coach of all time, and has had help from all stars Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker. Is he really the best power forward of all time? I think so. Like I said, I don't like mixing positions. I mean, why would the greatest power forward of all time be a center? that being said, that really limits the players you can choose. Sure there were power forward superstars such as Karl Malone and many would see players like Patrick Ewing
up there, but most superstar big men are centers. That being said, Tim Duncan is a very deserving player that definitely deserves to be either in the top ten players of all time or very high up the list.

And finally, Kevin Durant chose Shaquille O Neal as his center. Sorry Magic fans if my picture offends you, but I see him more as a Laker than anyone else.  Shaq was outstanding and did his job better than anyone else. he was aggressive and a great rebounder, but is that enough to be the greatest center of all time. I think not. There are too many centers that did things he never did. He one three titles, but with a completely stacked team of Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson (given both those players are also the top of there positions I'd call that the greatest team of all time). But you just can't call a player the best of his position for one reason: his free throw shooting. We all know he couldn't make a free throw to save his life. Well, in those 4th quarter situations, you can't let him play. When you're never in during the 4th quarter, you can't be the best. Sorry Shaq. Frankly, I haven't decided who my center will be. I can't choose between Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Hakeem (or Akeem) Olajuwan. Let me know what you think in the comments and I'll tell you in my next post.

So to recap, my starting five consists of...






Magic Johnson


                              Michael Jordan




Larry Bird





                                             Tim Duncan











And either Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Hakeem           Olajuwan













No comments:

Post a Comment